Roadside Unit Installation
Roadside units have been designed to be easy to install in 3 simple steps. Please read through and follow this guidance carefully.
- Serial Number
Before you start, make a note of the Roadside Unit serial number. This unique code can be found on the label on the rear of your roadside unit. You'll need this number when you come to register and activate the unit.
FittingFirst, check you have a chosen a good location. It is crucial to the performance of the system.
You must carefully assess the installation for risks and mitigate any risks to ensure you, and others, remain safe. Do not work at height. Have someone with you with a mobile phone. Wear high visibility jackets. Warn traffic as necessary. Follow the guidance and work practices given by the Health and Safety Executive.
If the location is designed for pedestrian access (i.e. a pavement, pathway, etc) and is protected from traffic by a kerb or barrier, then you should be able to self-install with due care. You must comply with the Safety at Street Works and Road Works codes of practice. If the location is not protected (such as a verge) then you will need 'Chapter 8' NRSWA Unit 2 Signing, Lighting, and Guarding competencies for working near a roadway, or employ someone who is competent.
A special security bit and hex spanner are used on the fixing band to attach the unit. See video.
- Feed the fixing band though the rectangular slot on the unit.
- Position the unit against the pole with the camera window facing away from oncoming traffic (i.e. to the rear of traffic that has passed), and tighten the fixing to just hold the unit in place.
- Swivel the unit on the pole so that the arrow on the base of the unit aligns with the centre of the lane being monitored 15m after the unit. From 1 June 2022 units are supplied with the optional "Easy Align" feature which uses your smartphone/device to help align the unit:
- Switch off your phone/device's mobile data, and switch on its WiFi.
- With the unit loosely fixed, swipe the Restart Tool over the centre of the base once, going from mounting bracket to road-side edge passing over the fabric disc. This resets the unit.
- Go to your smartphone's WiFi settings and select the WiFi SSID called "AutoSpeedWatch". Do this within 2 mins.
- Using a browser, enter the following directly into the address bar (don't use a search engine): http://192.168.1.1, and press Return.
- Follow the instructions on your smartphone screen.
Installed! The next step is to register/activate your unit....
Registration/Activation should be done by your community speedwatch coordinator and only after the unit is installed. This process also sets up the coordinator's account. The coordinator can subsequently invite volunteers from their community speedwatch group to help with the data produced.
If this is your first roadside unit and you've completed the installation steps above, please register and activate your roadside unit now. We will then configure, wake, and enable the unit, and send you login details for your account. If this is not the first unit you've installed then you can just activate it from your My AutoSpeedWatch account.
You may need to adjust the alignment of the unit after receiving the first images.....The images should be pointing well down the carriageway and not across it. As below.....